- About Us
- Student Life
Empowered by Gospel values and rooted in the spirit and tradition of Saints Francis and Clare of Assisi, The Catholic High School of Baltimore, a sponsored institution of the Sisters of St. Francis of Philadelphia, is dedicated to the education of young women in an environment that fosters Christian attitudes of dignity and respect for the human person and all of creation.
In our mission, we recognize that through education the empowerment of women can effect the transformation of our society. Therefore, we challenge our school community to academic excellence, to responsible leadership, and to Christian community service.
The Catholic High School of Baltimore provides a positive educational environment for young women from the metropolitan area and the surrounding region. The school challenges the school community to academic excellence, responsible leadership, and Christian community service, thus preparing its students for leadership roles in the community, in the Church, and in the world of the twenty-first century.
Fostering a holistic approach to secondary education that is firmly rooted in Franciscan values, Catholic High encourages the development of mind, body, soul, and spirit. A college preparatory curriculum supports high academic standards. An energetic student, through her involvement in a wide array of extracurricular activities and athletics, pursues leadership development. An extensive community service program encourages a spirit of giving of oneself to others. A Catholic High graduate is capable of independent learning and critical thinking, enabling her to respond successfully to the demands of a life and career in a technologically advanced world.
To recruit and retain the highest caliber of faculty, Catholic High provides professional development opportunities, competitive salaries, and a range of personal benefits. The school and its teachers partner with parents to facilitate each student’s educational development and to bring the benefits of community resources into the school.
An aggressive and inclusive approach to marketing and recruitment results in a student body reflective of the rich diversity of the Baltimore community. Students benefit from a committed and dedicated administration and board of trustees, competent and responsible faculty and staff, as well as an active alumnae and other stakeholders invested in their success, all under the sponsorship and involvement of the Sisters of St. Francis of Philadelphia. As sharers in the school’s vision, these individuals and groups collaborate to develop the human, financial, and material resources necessary to serve the student body and sustain the mission of the school.
A variety of development efforts enables Catholic High to maintain and improve the school’s building and campus while financially assisting eligible students. This fulfills our mission to welcome into the school community those students who could not otherwise afford a quality secondary education in the Franciscan tradition.
With the permission of the Most Reverend Michael J. Curley, Archbishop of Baltimore from 1921 to 1947, and through the efforts of Mother Mary Generosa McCafferty, Provincial Superior of the Sisters of St. Francis of Philadelphia, a new Catholic high school was erected during the period of 1938 to 1939. The property was known as the Raming Estate, located in northeast Baltimore on the west side of Edison Highway. The name of the institution as presented to the Archbishop read: "The Curley High School of Baltimore." Not wishing the school named after himself, Archbishop Curley substituted the word "Catholic" for "Curley," thus the title was incorporated.
Classes began September 6, 1939, with a student body of 254 freshmen. The faculty consisted of the Sisters of St. Francis of Glen Riddle, Pennsylvania. The Class of 1943 had the responsibility and privilege of laying the foundation upon which Catholic High's traditions would rest.
The Catholic High School of Baltimore continues today under the sponsorship of the Sisters of St. Francis of Philadelphia.
The Catholic High School of Baltimore, Inc. is sponsored by the Sisters of St. Francis of Philadelphia. As such, the Members of the Corporation include the Congregational Minister and elected Council along with two appointed sisters. The Members have clearly defined reserve powers over the institution. The Sisters of St. Francis of Philadelphia define sponsorship as follows:
As Sisters of St.Francis of Philadelphia, we place our congregational name, our identity and our commitment behind specific ministries. By this action, we assume responsibility for promoting and assuring consistency with Gospel values, our congregational mission statement and the social teachings of the Church. As sponsors, we publicly identify with, exert appropriate influence in, and provide various levels of support to these ministries. In so doing, we fulfill our responsibility of stewardship for our heritage, mission and resources. Sponsorship allows us, within the appropriate structure of the ministry, to collaborate with the laity and to share with them authority and responsibility for the mission of the Church. As sponsors, we are both recipients and carriers of the Gospel vision and values, the tradition of Francis and Clare of Assisi and the charism of Mother Francis Bachmann. We commit ourselves to preserve, shape, and extend this legacy in the manner most appropriate to each sponsored ministry.
Board of Trustees
The Catholic High School of Baltimore, Inc. is governed by a Board of Trustees. This Board develops policies that give direction to the Corporation and enable it to reach its agreed upon goals. These policies govern the operation of The Catholic High School of Baltimore. In the exercise of this power, the Trustees of Catholic High are responsible for preserving the Catholic character of the Corporation as established by the Sisters of St. Francis of Philadelphia. Membership of the Board of Trustees consists of between 15 and 21 members, among whom are Sisters of St. Francis of Philadelphia.
A team of administrators oversees the day-to-day operations of the school. The President is head of school and chief executive officer. The school’s by-laws, as defined by the Board of Trustees, list the responsibilities and duties of the President. The Directors of Mission, Institutional Advancement, and Finance, along with the Principal, oversee various aspects of the school’s operation. The Vice-Principal assists the Principal, and may, in the absence of the Principal, act on his/her behalf.
Each academic discipline area is coordinated by a Department Chairperson. It is the duty of the Chairperson to work closely with the Principal to oversee and carry out the curricular goals of the department,to assist in faculty supervision and evaluation, to oversee the department budgets, and to make textbook recommendations. The Chairperson is a member of the school’s Academic Council.
The school offers students and their parent services that support the educational program. Included in this area are the Departments of Guidance, Library/Media, Health Services, and Food Service.